Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy new year!



Today's the day to start numbering your reeds at #1, that is, if you're interested in keeping track of the number of reeds you make per year.  I have not done this in the past because I used to re-start at #1 each time I switched cane.  That's no longer necessary because I've been consistently color-coding the reed thread according to cane type.  In fact, I even sub-divide.  Rigotti cane from Midwest Musical Imports is a different color:
 from Rigotti cane from Woodwind Brasswind:

On top of that, I have a reed notebook for recording any observations which may improve my odds of reed success.  It seems to me that the only way to know what works is to keep track of any changes.

Keeping track of one's cane and results can cause disappointment if a great source dries up.  The highest number of good reeds for me were made with cane from a source called "All Bassoon Cane" which was located somewhere in the Pacific Northwest.  Unfortunately, the business no longer exists, and nobody knows what happened to the proprietor or his inventory!

Hercules DS561B BASSOON/BASS Clarinet Stand
In case any readers are in the market for a bassoon stand, I ordered a Hercules DS561B stand for bassoon or bass clarinet from Amazon.com for $66.95 (shipping included), which makes it the most affordable bassoon stand available.  The Hercules stand is very sturdy and secure, and I highly recommend it for home use.  For schlepping, though, I prefer the more common Fox bassoon stand which weighs less than 2 pounds, compared to the much larger 6.4 pound Hercules stand.

Has anyone encountered problems finding #3 crochet thread for wrapping reeds?  In Columbus it has become increasingly difficult to find the thread in formerly reliable sources such as Joann Fabrics.  (Well, I can still find it, but the colors are disappointing.)  I found a good internet source, Knitting-warehouse.com which sells #3 bamboo crochet thread for $2.29 per spool, in great colors! 






Aunt Lydia's Bamboo Crochet Thread Size 3  <font color="CC0000"><b>Sale!</b></font>
Aunt Lydia's Bamboo Crochet Thread Size 3 Sale!

Aunt Lydia's Bamboo Crochet Thread Size 3 at discount prices! 100% bamboo from viscose is an earth friendly sustainable and renewable resource with a recycled core and label. A size 3 crochet thread with a luxuriously silky hand. 100% bamboo. Size 3. 150 yards. Machine washable.


Happy new year!
  



4 comments:

Tina said...

Ooh, ooh, ooh. Thanks for the stand tip!

Re: crochet thread: I have eleventy billion (give or take) yards of crochet thread. The unused spools are size 10 and I assume the unwrapped ones are as well. I'll send you a pic. It's quite a stash - I bought all these cool colors in college, but I'll never use it all. Are you interested? (I'll keep a couple just for fun)

RWRoesch said...

When I read reed (ha!) posts and hear about reed parties at Capital, I grow more and more thankful the only maintenance I have to do is disinfecting and the occasional boiling of my mouthpieces!

B.S. said...

Tina, thanks for asking, but I only use #3 crochet thread. It's slightly thicker and seems to work better, but some bassoonists do use #10.

Thanks for sending me the photos- you do have some great colors!

Just think of all the reeds you'd have if you DID use up all of those spools yourself!!

Betsy

B.S. said...

Will, I'm glad you're able to realize how lucky you are as a result of reading this post! (I've been known to boil and disinfect my reeds too, just like your mouthpieces, but I don't usually keep them long enough to warrant that!)

Happy new year~
Betsy